Friday, July 9, 2010

Kicking the Q-Tip Habit

As I've been thinking about simplification, consumerism, consumption and green living, I've realized that there is a very small single-use item that I use everyday ... the Q-Tip.  Using Q-Tips is not going to fill the world's landfills. It isn't going to break the bank. I won't go thru withdrawal without them, or suffer physical harm if I use them or I don't (unless I'm the kind of wax pusher that doctors warn us about!). So what's the big deal?

Well, either I'm committed to all the baby steps leading to a sustainable, minimal carbon-footprint life or I'm not.  Seeing as I am ... Q-Tips.  I googled "green alternatives to Q-Tips" and found very little. No one seems too concerned. But I've been determined, and I've kicked the Q-Tip Habit!

A few facts (probably relevant only to me):

My little finger fits in my ear plenty far enough to take the place of a Q-Tip.

I only used Q-Tips because I wanted to dry my ears, not to "clean" them ... that happens in the shower!

Towels are too thick, when wrapped around my pinkie finger, to do the job.

However ... a cotton men's handkerchief is perfect!  So, there's my green alternative.  Using the size of a dime for each ear, it takes many days before I need to wash it. The hankie is small, and doesn't add to my laundry burden. It is soft cotton, which makes my ears happy.  And in my life, another single-use item bites the dust!

Okay, now is your chance to comment. I expect most of your thoughts to be about me having way too much time on my hands to think about irrelevant things! That's okay ... keeps me happy :-)

1 comment:

  1. Late comment....

    I actually use a tissue paper to dry the ears. The trick is NOT to rub the tissue in your ear, so you don't leave paper residues. Simply touch and the water gets absorb by the paper...

    Paper is wood, so no real harm to environment. :)

    ReplyDelete