Monday, January 12, 2009

Crafting

Anyone who knows anything about me knows that I like to craft things. I'm not an artist but a crafter. Nothing I do takes a serious level of skill or sight, but I'm good with my hands, and like to create things. What types of things? ANYTHING. It can be made of wood, wire, paper, beading, beeswax, leather, yarn, fabric ... doesn't matter to me as long as there is a little variety and it can't be undone after it is done. That's key ... that it stays done. So little in the process of caring for family and household stays done.

I have a friend who holds to this same point of view. We believe that every woman (and I believe it stands for men as well) needs a hobby that is completely her own. In my family, I share almost everything. My time, energy, resources, interest ... everything is available for my family at any time they are in need or want. The exception is crafting. I love to show them what I make (the kudos are nice), but they don't usually have any hand in the process. This is somewhat a reflection of the fact that I'm the only girl in the house ... our dog excepted ... but also shows that I have taken ownership of one thing. It is all mine. In this shared life, I need something that is all mine. I believe this to be true for everyone.

So, if you are one of the people who receives the hand-made items that make their way into your hands for Christmases and birthdays, you can know that the making of it was special to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment