Sunday, January 11, 2009

Raw Vegan

I've been doing a lot of food research lately. There is a movement called "Raw Vegan" that is gaining speed all over. I've been a vegetarian for about a year, and have found that my body responds much better to my meatless existence. Vegetarian for me is completely without meat ... no beef, pork, chicken, fish, or any other animal you might think of eating. With the lack of meat, however, comes the interesting challenge of ENERGY. It is difficult to maintain energy and strength without the big protein boosts. I've followed all of the suggestions, but find that I'm still tired all the time, and have very little extra energy to do anything beyond all that is required as a wife and mom. It is the family joke that I don't ever see any of the movies we watch as a family. I'm asleep within the first 10 minutes ... just always exhausted.

So, in this second year of vegetarianism, I'm looking to the next level. Dairy seems to be an energy-sapper, as does processed food. And of late, I've found lots of people talking about cooking and how heating damages the food I eat and its ability to provide fuel for my body. Moving back in history, maybe the people who walked thru the field/garden and ate off the vine/bush/plant had the right idea. You'll see the post "Raw Food Passion" to the right. Take a look at how beautiful April's food is, and read her story. Her blog can lead you down the proverbial wormhole of the Internet to dozens of testimonials. Raw Food! Do you have any idea how hard it is to find truly raw food? That knocks out all bread ... a great disappointment to me.

The question becomes ... how do I pursue the best eating habits for myself, while feeding a family of four "men" (well, one man, two teens, and a preschooler) who insist that the world of meat, dairy, and junk food is the world for them? I've come up with a small concession and possible first step. As I have done for the past year, the meals will still be the kind that they love, but now the side dishes (vegetables and fruits) will be mostly raw. I'll fill the gap in my diet with a smoothie mid-day that contains extra protein and raw fruits/vegetables. They will eat a little bit healthier, and I'll take a step toward slowing down time's impact on my body. The pace may be slow, but perhaps over time we will move toward healthier lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment